GUITAR EUREKA !

GITARRE EUREKA! GUITARE EUREKA! GITAAR EUREKA! CHITARRA EUREKA! ギター EUREKA! κιθάρα EUREKA! 기타 EUREKA! GUITARRA ERUREKA! гитара EUREKA! 吉他 EUREKA!

Monday 31 January 2011

POST # 481 MYSTERY CASE No 24 "WHO" am I ???




G'day Guitar Eureka Detectives!

You are given 10 clues to the identity of this mystery person , see how many clues you require to guess the correct answer, have fun!

1. I was was born in Detroit, Michigan , July 31st 1939.






2. I grew up in a musical family in which my mother played piano and sang in the Second Baptist Church choir and my father favored the banjo and ukulele.






3. I began began playing guitar at age 12 and quickly fell under the influence of such artists as Charlie Christian, Django Reinhardt, Oscar Moore, T-Bone Walker, and Muddy Waters.






4. While a student at Wayne State University, I made my debut recording as a member of Dizzy Gillespie's sextet in 1951.






5. I made my recorded debut as a leader on the 1956 Blue Note session.






6. I recorded for Blue Note and Prestige and have played with everyone from John Coltrane, Duke Ellington to Jimmy Smith Bill Evans and many others.






7. During the 1950's I mainly played Gibson ES 175 with single neck P-90.






8. My amps includes Fender tweed, Fender Deluxe, Twin-Reverb, Super Reverb and solid state Polytone. Heritage also makes a signature amp for me.






9. Both Duke Ellington and B B King have sighted me as one of their favourate guitarists.







10. Stevie Ray Vaughan did a cover of my composition "Chitlins Con Carne".


I am ??????


ANSWER:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2DbH1PIWxU

ADDITIONAL TRIVIAS/CLUES

I am also known to have played GIBSON L5CES with Charlie Christian pickups, D'angelico New Yorker, Epiphone Emperor (both with floating DeArmond pickups) and Gibson Super 400CES.

Currently Heritage guitars made a signature model based on my trademark sixties Super 400.


I serve as Director of Jazz Studies at UCLA and teaches a course entitled "Ellingtonia", examining the life and accomplishments of Duke Ellington.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...