GUITAR EUREKA !

GITARRE EUREKA! GUITARE EUREKA! GITAAR EUREKA! CHITARRA EUREKA! ギター EUREKA! κιθάρα EUREKA! 기타 EUREKA! GUITARRA ERUREKA! гитара EUREKA! 吉他 EUREKA!

Thursday 11 June 2009

POST # 090 Wes Montgomery on Practice and Bandstand

But we got together and he offered
me a job in his club. Wow! Me working? And I'd only been playing a couple
of months. So I go to the club and I find that I'm featured. I'd come on
and play just Charlie Christian solos from the records because at that
time it was all I could play. Of course the other musicians knew this, but
one day I got a hand so big they wouldn't let me off the stage. But I
couldn't play nothing else! It was so embarrassing, so I said I've got to
go back and start practising. - Wes Montgomery

(Even the talented Wes Montgomery started off copying Charlie Christian then have to find his own voice. Reminds me of what Barney Kessel says about practacing making things up rather then just copping someone else's licks all the time. Hear CC doing a minor bluesy thing in Swing to Bop in contrast to Wes's take on the minor key Yesterdays. Both sounding hip in their own ways! - Ed)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...