GUITAR EUREKA !

GITARRE EUREKA! GUITARE EUREKA! GITAAR EUREKA! CHITARRA EUREKA! ギター EUREKA! κιθάρα EUREKA! 기타 EUREKA! GUITARRA ERUREKA! гитара EUREKA! 吉他 EUREKA!

Friday 24 April 2009

POST #042 Barney Kessel on Playing Music and Charlie Christian

“I wanted to play everything I heard,” he told Berle. “The music from the calliope at the fair, the tunes played by the organ grinder with his little monkey. I tried playing all those tunes on the guitar, and I would experiment on all the strings. In other words, the music was already in me. I wasn’t looking
for the guitar to tell me what I should look for. I already knew what I wanted to find, and I used the guitar to find it.”

“When I begin improvising with Charlie Christian,” Kessel asked himself, “what am I going to play?” Kessel realized that his enthusiasm for
Christian’s sound had made him something of a clone. "I decided that no matter how much I liked Charlie Christian or anybody else, they would remain only influences,
I began thinking in terms of absorbing these influences, rather than being absorbed by them.” - Barney Kessel

(Be a musical sponge ! Make your own musical gumbo! - Ed)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...